I have this little sister . . .

Photo by Marinka van Holten


There's a series of children's books by Lauren Child called Charlie and Lola (buy your own now at Better World Books).  Disney also made a preschool age show using the characters (visit them here to play games and watch videos).

The books always begin with Charlie narrating, "I have this little sister Lola.  She is small and very funny."

When my kids were little, I forced them to watch Disney's Charlie and Lola because I loved to listen to the stories told in these adorable child voices.  My brother-in-law once said, "Admit it.  It would be boring without the British accents."  But I'm not so sure.

Whenever we found a Charlie and Lola book in the library, I'd coerce my kids into checking it out so I could read it over and over to them.

"Oh, look!"  I'd squeal.  "A Charlie and Lola book!  Look at how funny it seems.  I know you'd love to bring this home," I'd say as I would shove the colorful book at my daughter.

Since she is smarter than I am, she'd kindly hand it back with a curt, "No thanks, Mom."

My son, on the other hand, will do anything to please me.  Do not fool yourselves into thinking I am the kind of mother that would never exploit that.

"Little man, don't you want your mommy to read this lovely book to you?" I'd ask him, fixing him with my most devoted puppy dog stare.  Worked every time!

The thing that I love about Charlie and Lola (with and without the adorable British accents) is that they are stories of an older sibling's deepest love for a younger sibling.  Lola reminds me of my own little sister.  My own little sister whom I love more than I can possibly say.  My own little sister, who is very, very funny (and I've got pics to prove it).  My own little sister whom I cannot live without.

This past weekend was the three year anniversary of a dear friend's death.  She was a big sister too.  In three years, I have been unable to find any words of healing for my friend's little sister.  Three years.  Three years and not a word from me.

This weekend, while I thought endlessly of my friend and our little sisters, I was struck very heavily with the realization that I do have one small and very important thing to say.

Big sisters love their little sisters unconditionally.  Always and forever.

Comments

  1. I'm so honored because I loved Lola AND being your little sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts